[c-nsp] 28xx performance question

Dave Temkin dave at ordinaryworld.com
Wed Apr 27 11:52:33 EDT 2005

That seems to be Cisco's story to not infringe on 7200/etc. purchases.
According to their PDF a 2851 is roughly equivalent to a NPE-225 in
processing power.  2851 is rated at 220,000 pps, while a 3660 is rated at 100-
120,000 pps - so there's no reason a 2851 can't handle a full DS-3.

Do a search for "routerperformance.pdf" and you'll find the doc I'm talking
about.

I tested 2 2851's back to back connected via GigE with raw TCP traffic (large
packets) and was able to get upwards of 350Mbps - but this is obviously with
no other limiting factors.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:38:35 -0600, John Neiberger wrote