[c-nsp] Re-thinking (remembering) how a switch operates

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Thu Apr 28 00:02:25 EDT 2005

At 11:20 PM 4/27/2005, you wrote:
>For example, I'd seen it once where someone decided to "load test" a
>WLBS cluster of servers on a production network.  The resultant inflow
>of traffic to the VIP was unicast flooded to all ports within the VLAN,
>thereby creating a denial of service.  Not pretty.  My suggestion is
>that if you have WLBS or anything like it in your network, get rid of
>it fast.

WLBS works fine, but it HAS to be setup on it's own VLAN with STP turned
off on all ports. Use a crossover cable to connect that cluster VLAN to the
rest of the network. We have this working for 100+ machines and it works
great. Usually, we use a different switch - just to be safe. The WLBS NIC
also must be different than the primary NIC in the machine.

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin