[c-nsp] Changes in defaults...

Adam Maloney adam at whee.org
Fri Apr 29 08:40:24 EDT 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Rodney Dunn wrote:

> I'd like to see in the Release-notes for an IOS release
> a section that describes default changes in IOS.
>
> Would you find that useful?

Immensely.  I have about 200 routers to upgrade this year...

> Sometimes we really need to make changes in defaults to harden
> the product or simply to make it better. IOS does not have
> a way to display all the defaults via the CLI unfortunately so
> some CLI tool is not an option. I'm not interested in discussing
> that as an issue. I'm simply looking for feedback on how much it
> would help and if you think it would be useful to document default
> changes in the Release Notes.

Please keep in mind that some of us have to do pretty large version jumps
from time to time, like from a 12.0 to a 12.3 image.  So it wouldn't be
feasible to have to wade through dozens of release notes to get a complete
list of default changes between those two versions.  Or are you talking
about having a single document that lists all of the default changes?  Or
would the release notes for 12.3(11) (for example), list all default
changes going back to 12.3, or even 12.0?

How about making a tool on the website where we could select two versions
and get a complete list of default changes between them?