[c-nsp] Changes in defaults...

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at gettcomm.com
Fri Apr 29 09:00:30 EDT 2005

At 8:08 AM -0400 4/29/05, Rodney Dunn wrote:
>I know it's sorta a dumb question but it's something I'm
>trying to move forward.
>
>I'd like to see in the Release-notes for an IOS release
>a section that describes default changes in IOS.
>
>Would you find that useful?
>
>Sometimes we really need to make changes in defaults to harden
>the product or simply to make it better. IOS does not have
>a way to display all the defaults via the CLI unfortunately so
>some CLI tool is not an option. I'm not interested in discussing
>that as an issue. I'm simply looking for feedback on how much it
>would help and if you think it would be useful to document default
>changes in the Release Notes.

The various show config commands are essentially a decompiler of data
structures, which build a set of configuration language statements
that should have produced their states.  I understand that there are
size limits to its code when running on the router, which is one
reason all defaults don't show. There's also the practical matter
that showing defaults could make configuration listings too long to
read during operations.

I've often wondered, however, if the show config code could be ported
to a UNIX machine, and that port given switches that enabled listing
defaults. The practicality of this, I suppose, depends on how much of
the grammar is table-driven, and the relationships of such tables to
the release strategy.