[c-nsp] Changes in defaults...

Ran Liebermann ranmails at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 12:47:41 EDT 2005

On 29/04/05, Rodney Dunn <rodunn at cisco.com> wrote:

> I'd like to see in the Release-notes for an IOS release
> a section that describes default changes in IOS.
>
> Would you find that useful?

Like most other commeters said - I'd find it useful.

May I suggest another improvement, while you're at it?
I assume that Cisco doesn't want to change default behaviour too
often, and that ofcourse causes the config to look a bit awkward
sometime, stating stuff like "no auto-summary" explicitly.
However I still think that there will be a lot of network engineers
who still won't read the release notes before upgrading or try to
follow the changes in default commands (may be for many reasons, for
example if they have to upgrade the IOS for thosands of customers).

So I think that you can add a global configuration command that
controls whether there will be changes in defaults (i.e. "serivce
default-command-changes").
This way, if someone doesn't read release notes, and just upgrades
versions from time to time, they probably won't configure this
command, and their default configs won't be changed.

Also, like Adam Maloney and Randy Bush suggested, I think it would be
nice to have a tool on CCO for comparing default config commands
between IOS versions.

Regards,
--
Ran.