[c-nsp] SSH Sessions on IOS

Paul Stewart pauls at nexicom.net
Sat Apr 30 09:55:57 EDT 2005

One thing to add... this just happened to us on Friday...

I had asked a friend to take a look at something on one of our 6509's.
Because he was on an IP that's not in our existing access lists, I temporarily
removed access-lists to our VTY ports.  After we discussed some stuff I forgot
to put the access-lists back on...

By later that afternoon, we had a user from a Verizon IP address hammered our
SSH on the switch driving the CPU to 99%.  It appeared the guy was opening an
SSH and dropping it shortly thereafter using 7 or 8 sessions at a time.  The
switch of course has to do key exchange causing some CPU cycles... with him
hammering, he almost killed the switch....

Long story short, make sure you have acess lists in place at all times to
protect which remote IP's can connect...:)

Paul

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:32:06 +0100, Ryan O'Connell wrote