[c-nsp] Re: transatlantic Internet latency

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Mon Aug 1 05:01:41 EDT 2005

> Nah. Both SJC and NYC conform perfectly to UN/LOCODE. :-)
>
> I've always regarded using airport IATA codes as somewhat
> misguided. :]

IATA codes are good for one-off routers in Nowheresville.  No-one has to
remember or care where 'KQX'[0] actually *is* - on the once every three
years occasion where it matters, you can look it up (or check sysLocation).

For core stuff, I think consistency within your organisation and some kind
of sanity outside of it is more important than which standard you actually
follow.  'LON', certainly for people in the UK and probably for much of
Europe, is fairly obviously London, likewise PARis, FRAnkfurt, MILan,
MADrid.  The people who need to know which facility a device is in within
those cities have sources of information other than rDNS to tell them.

Regards,
Tim.

[0]  Random unlikely letters.  Apologies to whoever's local airport this
resolves to, no slight to your fine town intended.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering Manager  w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Managed Data Services        t: +44 20 7863 5714
Data | Voice | Managed Services             f: +44 20 7863 5876