[c-nsp] 6500: soft migration to vrf ?

Alexandre Snarskii snar at paranoia.ru
Mon Aug 1 11:14:11 EDT 2005

Hi!

I'm trying to migrate part of our network into l3vpn with minimal service
interruption. To achieve this, i tried to set up global-to-vrf
loopback link, enable ospf on it, and then move links to vrf one by one,
not all at one. But it does not work as i expected - i'm not able
to ping global address from vrf side and vice versa. :(

Router in question is 6500/sup2/msfc2, equipped with OSM-4GE-WAN.
Physical connection established between OSM port on WAN side and switched
gigabit ethernet on LAN side (there are always some l3vpns serviced).
IOS 12.2(17d)SXB8.

I tried to configure extra subinterface on wan side, put it in
vrf on vrf side:

int ge-wan3/4
 override-mac-address xxxx.yyyy.zzzz

int ge-wan3/4.69
 encaps dot 69
 ip vrf forwarding VRF
 ip address 10.0.33.254 255.255.255.0

On the 'LAN' side, in 'global' table configured standard SVI:

int vlan 69
 ip address 10.0.33.1 255.255.255.0

>From the external host attached to vlan69 i'm able to ping both addresses,
but i'm not able to ping one address from another:

RT033-201#ping 10.0.33.254

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.0.33.254, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)
RT033-201#ping vrf VRF 10.0.33.1

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.0.33.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

Arp tables shows that remote address is 'Incomplete':

RT033-201#show ip arp vrf VRF
Protocol  Address          Age (min)  Hardware Addr   Type   Interface
Internet  10.0.33.1               0   Incomplete      ARPA
Internet  10.0.33.254             -   00d0.0063.100c  ARPA   GE-WAN3/4.69
Internet  10.0.33.252             1   00e0.0082.34c6  ARPA   GE-WAN3/4.69

Any ideas why it does not work ? Or it's intended limitation of IOS ?

PS: unfortunately, i have no spare ge-wan ports to try ge-wan to ge-wan
loopback :(