[c-nsp] VMPS Not currently supported on 6500 IOS

Marc Bourgeois mwbourgeois at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 10:22:09 EDT 2005

On the subject of OpenVMPS vs. other solutions that use databases:

OpenVMPS 1.3 allows an external script to control the assignments, so
if you're willing to code something up yourself you can make it use
just about any source of data you'd like.  We currently are using a
somewhat modified OpenVMPS 1.1 which we hacked to work better with our
network registration system (multiple VTP domains) and integrated it
with a MySQL backend.

One of the problems we had with OpenVMPS is that it didn't quite scale
to the size of our network (about 300 switches), we had to hack it to
be multithreaded in order to keep up with the load.  I'm currently
working on the multithreading with OpenVMPS 1.3 and integrating our
1.1 hacks into external scripts on 1.3.  I hope to integrate these
into the released version of OpenVMPS within a few months.

If anyone is interested in further details or would like to try what
i've finished so far, send me a line.

-Marc Bourgeois
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Division of University Housing