[c-nsp] 7600/6500 L3 vs SVI

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Aug 5 16:44:54 EDT 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Dale W. Carder wrote:

> Maybe you don't need to trunk to your 3550?

I don't need/want trunking in this case.

> vlan 2000
> name Foo-lan
>
> int vlan 2000
> ip addr 10.0.0.1
>
> interface gi1/49
> no ip addr
> switchport
> switchport mode access
> switchport access vlan 2000

That's what I'd done.  When I configured int vlan1 on the 3550 (btw, an
ancient one with code from 2002 IIRC, that didn't seem to support any L3
(can't no switchport an interface, can't enable ip routing, etc.)) it
I got errors about mismatching vlan numbers.

If I configure the port on the 6500 as a L3 interface (no switchport\nip
addr ...), the 3550 works just fine with int vlan 1 configured with an
appropriate IP.

The idea is, as a customer connection (customer little switch connecting
to our 6500), I'd prefer the customer just use vlan1 or configure a L3
port (if their switch can do L3) to talk to us and not need any knowledge
of what vlan it is on our 6500.