[c-nsp] 2801 w/ wic-1dsu-t1

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Aug 8 14:49:54 EDT 2005

No it doesen't.

You have made the same mistake that many people make when buying
Cisco gear.  Your assuming that the modularity of the WAN cards is
to allow backwards compatibility to allow you to preserve your
investment by moving WAN cards to newer gear.

In actuality the modularity of Cisco gear is to allow varying pricing,
so that for example a 2800 purchased for a single leaf-node application
does not have to cost as much as a 2800 purchased for routing multiple
T1s and ethernet ports.

The same is true of most other products.  Computer PCs for example
are still quite modular, yet ram often isn't even interchangable
between manufacturers, let along classes of CPU's.  Even automobiles -
when you send an old broken car to a wrecking yard, there's very little
save perhaps an ice scraper that can be migrated to a new vehicle.
Cisco isn't doing anything different here that anybody else is doing.

And I might also ask, is this your money your spending on new gear or
your company's money?  If it isn't your money, why do you give a FF what
it costs?

Ted