[c-nsp] How to set BGP commun. to none then to a value

Alexander Koch efraim at clues.de
Thu Aug 11 13:24:38 EDT 2005

On Thu, 11 August 2005 20:17:06 +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:
>  I'm not sure how common sense it is, but I'd surely hope it would
> be more common, that no one touches other communites than their own
> AS or private. Even if you don't use them, your customers might get valuable
> information via them.

We have had this discussion on IRC (I remember), yet... when
you pass all the community information your prefixes are
dampened much quicker. Been there, diagnosed it, did not do
it any further. It is surely good and useable and a good
thing[tm], but imagine the LINX go down and you tag LINX
different than PARIX, and that is a change. Now with a
prefix flapping you update your best prefix you send to
the customer. Depending on your setup more than once even,
whatever your architecture is.

While it may be much less of a problem for certain networks
it is one for us certainly. And we underestimated it.

Also you are speaking about transits, correct? That would
then be a different thing of course.

Alexander,
having had the pleasure of being detailed in one of Randy's
slides some 2 or 3 years ago... AS 3257, but overwriting it
was an independent decison...