[c-nsp] 2900 series switches loosing ports

Curtis Doty Curtis at GreenKey.net
Fri Aug 12 16:31:25 EDT 2005

McLean Pickett wrote:

>Hello -
>
>I have a couple of old 2924-xl switches that are having ports fail. Show
>version says that they have 19 and 20 fast ethernet interfaces
>respectively (instead of 24). Looking at the front LED's on the units
>there are 5 and 4 interfaces with an amber status light. Devices
>connected to these ports are never seen by the switch.
>
>I am OK with the idea that some ports are failing, but I would like to
>find a way to conclusively identify which ports have failed without have
>to physically look at the switches.
>
>I can find any commands that will tell me that the ports have failed.
>Any ideas?

If they failed during bootstrap, then the failure alert was on the
console with the other boot output. If they failed after boot, then you
should have received the alert on your mgmt system. FYI, it's been my
experience that units exhibiting this symptom will fail more
dramatically within a couple years.

../C