[c-nsp] IP Address Assignments -Newb ?

James Bruce jbruce at unitedscience.com
Mon Aug 15 17:10:12 EDT 2005

OK I feel embarrassed for asking this but it's been a really long day
and even longer time since I have messed with IP address subnetting. (I
know this is highschoolish question) So, sorry if this question is off
topic and a newb question. I've been searching google and reading up for
a while and my brain feels like mush.

We have one router (2801) with a T1. The router will connect multiple
wireless access points (4) in the community. Our service provider just
gave us an ip address range of 65.x.49.1 - 65.x.49.128 /25 I'm having
trouble trying to figure out what addresses/range/subnet to assign our
customers. We are expecting a customer base of around 1000. I don't want
to give our customers private address (multiple customers might want
multiple servers) I have a feeling I'm going to smack myself later for
this. I remember the formula 2^-2 = subnets then remainder bits 2^ - 2=
host per subnet. But for the life of me I can't remember how to figure
out the first address range. I need to step away from it and come back
later but I don't have time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks