[c-nsp] eliminating asymmetric routes

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Tue Aug 16 14:42:14 EDT 2005

David Barak wrote:

> --- Joe Maimon <jmaimon at ttec.com> wrote:
>

>>A not so hypothetical question.
>>
>>How to go about eliminating asymmetric routes from
>>all routers/sites
>>mentioned below while using a routing protocol.
>>

> Okay, I'll bite :)
Thanks

> what routing protocol are you using?
Whichever will do the job most naturally/simply on a cisco platform.

> Are all of the below routers under your administrative
> control?  Are the metrics symmetric in all cases?

They will be. Metrics are symmetric and equal cost.

> If the answers to the above two questions are "yes,"
> then where is the asymmetry coming from?
If you count the hops, as a distance vector, A<->H have two equal cost
paths. A->C->E->F->H and H->F->D->C->A would be the asymmetricity.

> You mentioned that "warm standby routing" is not
> preferred - do you mean that you want packets going
> from C -> F to traverse both E and D, or would you be
> willing to accept determinism in that case?
I want the shortest path between any two points, but the return path to
be guaranteed identical in reverse.

> Also, where are the NAT and FW boundaries which are
> causing the constraint?

C<->E
C<->F
D<->F