[c-nsp] IOS on 1811/1841

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Tue Aug 16 17:06:37 EDT 2005

Łukasz,

> You should test *Your* deployment in the lab, as You're asking for
> quite a mix of services and 5Mbit/s of traffic. Also bear in mind,
> that fixed-configuration 1800 support only built-in VPN accelerator.

You're right. Good point. If we're worried about performance with the
1800-series, having a slot for the AIM-VPN/BPII-PLUS to accelerate things
could be a plus. Unfortunately, we're just starting the business of
recommending routers for our customers, so I don't have any 1800's in the
lab, and once I buy it for the customer *poof* it's mine whether it works or
not. I guess that's the tough part about starting out at something and not
having the experience yet to back you up.

> Yeah, but remember that official story for 1800-series is
> `up to one T1/E1 with full services'. And apparently You're trying to
> get 250% of this. Think for a moment about 2801/2811.

OK, I'm looking into it. A bit more pricey but maybe worth it. BTW, where
did you get that 'official story'? I've tried to wend my way through the
marketing material, but I don't see explicit mention of this kind of
benchmark, just the suggestion that 1800's are for remote branch offices
rather than head-ends.

It would be great if there were a massive chart detailing: platform,
services enabled, throughput, processor CPU consumed and a big red "X" if
you've gone overboard. Or a test lab where you test drive the stuff before
purchasing. I guess it's not that simple.

Thanks,
Adam

---
[This e-mail was scanned for viruses by Webjogger's AntiVirus Protection System]