[c-nsp] ISP Failover and/or Load Balancing with 2801

Eric Helm helmwork at ruraltel.net
Wed Aug 17 11:11:08 EDT 2005

I have been approached by a customer wanting to do Failover/Load
Balancing with 1 Cisco 2801 router.
The 2801 has a 4 port HWIC installed.

The network looks like the following:

ISP A		ISP B
    |		 |
     |	        |
      |	       |
     Cisco 2801

  Cisco PIX Firewall

For failover only, I've thought about just a floating static default
route. Any better ideas for failover only?

For failover and load balancing, I've looked a little at Cisco's
Optimized Edge Routing solution. But it appears that I need a minimum of
2 routers to achieve what I need.

An additional potential caveat is that the PIX is terminating several
IPSec VPNs using the IP from ISP A.
Oh, and ISP A is using PPPoE, and I'm not sure about ISP B, but PPPoE
could definitely be used as well.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Eric