[c-nsp] ATM Issues

Clayton Zekelman clayton at mnsi.net
Sun Aug 21 16:56:13 EDT 2005

I did an interesting experiment.  I have a couple of PVC's between the 2 sites, so I used one of the spare ones, and have determined that the packet loss is directly related to using RBE or Bridging.

There appears to be no packet loss when I do plain IP over ATM.

I set up a test IP address on the ATM subinterface on each end, plus put them into a bridge group and placed IP addresses on the BVI's on each end.

When pinging with 5000 pings at 4000 bytes, I get no packet loss between the 2 IP over ATM addresses, but get packet loss when I ping between the 2 BVI IP addresses with 5000 pings at 1500 bytes.  Yep, packet loss on the SAME subinterface and PVC at the same time as I'm getting no packet loss on the same interface (I tried both at the same time, and both separately).

I get similar results with RBE, which also appears to have issues under heavy load (works fine when only the PING traffic is on the PVC).

Next step is to convert completely to IP over ATM, but I'll have to get some fiber run and an extra PA-A3-OC3.