[c-nsp] IPVPN and VRF Lite

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Tue Aug 23 03:27:24 EDT 2005

Sultan Shaikh <> wrote on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 9:00 AM:

> Hi Folks,
>
> This is the setup...
>
> C1 - CE1 - PE1 - P - P - PE2 - CE2 - C2
>
> C - Customer router
> CE - Customer Edge
>
> I have VRF Lite configured on CE routers (Cisco 3745, IOS 12.2), I am
> peering with PE on either side with eBGP on 3 separate subinterfaces,
> will be more clear from the configs of CE2 and PE2 (VRF and BGP only)
> attached herein, I am not able to populate my vrf table.

your eBGP sessions are not set-up in the VRF address-families, so they
don't come up at all ("show ip bgp summary" should show them all as
"Active"). Please remove the neighbors from the global ipv4 unicast
context and set them up within the ipv4 vrf XXX context, i.e.

router bgp 65432
 no neighbor 172.24.0.1
 no neighbor 172.24.0.5
 no neighbor 172.24.0.9
 !
 address-family ipv4 vrf vrf_red
  neighbor 172.24.0.1 remote-as 4058
 exit-address-family
 address-family ipv4 vrf vrf_blue
  neighbor 172.24.0.5 remote-as 4058
 exit-address-family
 address-family ipv4 vrf vrf_mgmt
  neighbor 172.24.0.9 remote-as 4058
 exit-address-family

But what are you planning to do with the vrf_blue and vrf_mgmt? I only
see one interface (the PE-facing interface) within these VRFs, so the
traffic will not go anywhere?

	oli