[c-nsp] Cisco 7200 AUX port pseudo-break problem

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Wed Aug 24 11:38:03 EDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 10:02:45AM +0200, Anton.Schweitzer at o2.com wrote:
> can anyone send me a template for the settings to connect s SUN server to
> a cisco terminal server

Speaking of Sun consoles, I just ran into a new flavor of an old problem.

I hooked up an x86 NetBSD system serial port to a Cisco 7206 aux port, so I
could telnet into the Cisco and get to the console of the NetBSD box.
Works as planned, until I powered off the Cisco for some maintenance,
and suddenly my pager began beeping.

It turned out that powering down the Cisco simulated a BREAK signal
on the serial port to the x86 box, and since we had enabled debugging
in the kernel, it promptly fell into the debugger and stopped all
activity.  Just like the Sun boxes used to do when I had used Cisco
boxes as console servers for them oh so many years ago.

Our other terminal server is a Baytech DS-RPC box that works fine,
except it can't send a BREAK signal.  Does anyone know of hardware
hacks or other cheap ways to avoid the pseudo-BREAK problem?

	-- Ed