[c-nsp] 1700-series router falls off the Ethernet

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Aug 24 16:20:20 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 03:59:11PM -0400, Ed Ravin wrote:
> The story so far - a few users with Cisco 1700-series routers
> have reported that every now and then (once or twice a month?)
> the router stops receiving Ethernet packets on FastEthernet0.

I've seen this on a 7204(-non-VXR) on the IO controller FastEth - annoying
enough, this was connected to an exchange point, and caused havoc with
our BGP sessions.

We've exchanged the IO-board (no change), tried various IOS versions
(12.2(14)S and 12.2(18)S and subreleases - no change) and eventually
replaced the router with a 7206VXR.  Since then, no problems.

We're not sure whether this was "hardware slowly dying" or "IOS not
properly supporting non-VXR routers with first-generation IO boards
anymore".  (No service contract on that box, so we don't know what
TAC would have said)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de