[c-nsp] 1700-series router falls off the Ethernet

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Thu Aug 25 09:42:23 EDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 11:38:14PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>   When I've dealt with these problems before in the past I've always
> traced it down to Ethernet network incompatibilities particularly between
> the router and the hub, although at one place a guy was using a
> fiber converter that was doing it.
>
>   There are a lot of real crappy hubs/switches out there.

The router having this problem is plugged directly into a high-quality
switch.  And that switch has been swapped at least once - I think it's
a Cisco now.

Oh, and for the other poster, the duplex/speed settings were the first
things we checked.

>   One other hack that you can do which I did for one customer, is
> you can ping the ethernet interface remotely from a script running
> on a UNIX box, and when the script ping fails, the script issues a
> command to the router to clear the interface.

Yeah, we're considering a hack like this.  Perhaps I'll do something
with RANCID.