[c-nsp] RIP and MD5 problem

Thomas Braun tb at westend.com
Fri Aug 26 05:50:12 EDT 2005

Hi,

>I see Quagga is sending MD5  encrypted Data but the Cisco isn't sending
>authentication data.
>Without using authentication there is no problem.

Nobody has tried it or is using md5 authentication with rip on IOS
12.2.25S5?
I haven't found a rip + md5 bug on the Cisco site.

Here is a sh ip proto output
Routing Protocol is "rip"
  Sending updates every 30 seconds, next due in 26 seconds
  Invalid after 180 seconds, hold down 180, flushed after 240
  Outgoing update filter list for all interfaces is not set
  Incoming update filter list for all interfaces is not set
    GigabitEthernet0/2.133 filtered by (prefix-list) TEST
  Redistributing: rip
  Default version control: send version 2, receive version 2
    Interface             Send  Recv  Triggered RIP  Key-chain
    GigabitEthernet0/2.13 2     2                    TEST
  Automatic network summarization is not in effect
  Maximum path: 4
  Routing for Networks:
    212.117.87.0
  Passive Interface(s):

debug ip rip from cisco  tells  me :
Aug 26 11:46:32.502: RIP: received packet with MD5 authentication
Aug 26 11:46:32.502: RIP: ignored v2 packet from X.X.87.147 (invalid
authentication)
Aug 26 11:46:33.930: RIP: sending v2 update to 224.0.0.9 via
GigabitEthernet0/2.133 (X.X.87.145)

debug ip rip from the quagga site tells me:
RIP: RIPv2 authentication failed: no authentication in packet

And in the captured packte is no md5 authentication coming from the cisco.

Thanks thomas