[c-nsp] Cisco 7500, output errors on FastEth interfaces

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Aug 31 03:59:28 EDT 2005

This is a common problem with Cisco.  Many of their port cards are
NOT autosensing.  They hard-code to a specific speed and duplex.  The
autosensing ones allow you to set "auto" on the adapter, the others
won't.

If you plug an ethernet port that is hard coded into a typical switch
that
has autosensing ports, you will get errors.  This is due to the switch
continuing to try the Nway auto probing and the router's port ignoring
it.

The only solution is to use managed switches and go into their
management interface and hard-code the port to the same speed and
duplex setting as what the router is at.

You will also get the same problem if the Cisco port is autosensing and
you have set it to auto, and you plug into a switch that is hard-coded to
a specific speed and duplex.

And you get the same problem if you plug a PC ethernet card into an
autosensing switch port and go into the WIndows ethernet card properties
and hard-code the speed.

And, one last thing, please no comments from the peanut gallery.  Yes
I know that Nway is supposed to handle this.  In real life it doesen't
usually.

Ted