[c-nsp] Is this throughput on ATM DS3 in 3640 normal?

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Wed Aug 31 04:14:23 EDT 2005

Peter,

others haven't said that it is reasonable but i do.

rationale is as follows:

you say that "throughput is 40Mbps when traffic is pushed in one
direction" but with duplex traffic "it can't get higher than 34Mbps in
one direction and 27Mbps in the other".

the mismatch of 34 vs 27 is a little odd - but could be a side-effect of
TCP.

lets touch the 40Mbps first...
for a DS3 ATM link, you'll likely have a cell-rate of 100k cells/sec
(perhaps a little more).  based on cell header overhead, you lose ~10%
of that bandwidth.  90% of 45Mbps =~ 40Mbps ... exactly what you see
"one way".

however, while you have said its "one way" traffic, my guess is you mean
that its all throughput in one _direction_ but its TCP traffic.  even
with selective ACK on TCP you have return-traffic at the rate of one
SACK packet per two TCP segments.
40Mbps of 1500-byte IP packets is a little over 3300 packets/second.
TCP ACK traffic will be just over 1650 packets/second in the return
direction, most of these will be 0-byte payload but will be 40-byte
packets due to 20-byte TCP header and 20-byte IP header.

alas unfortunately those 40-byte packets won't fit into a single 53-byte
ATM cell since you have both a 5-byte ATM header on the cell and each IP
packet will have a AAL5 header (8 bytes) and SNAP header (5 bytes).  [i
think it will -- not sure what encoding you are running].
20-byte IP header + 20-byte TCP header + 5-byte ATM cell header + 8-byte
AAL5 header + 5-byte SNAP header = 58 bytes -- which requires two cells.

two cells for every TCP ACK packet =

thus for 40Mbps of TCP traffic in one direction, you are actually also
consuming ~3300 cells of traffic in the return direction (without TCP
SACK its twice that -- or -- 6600 cells/sec.

now, trying to push traffic in both directions, you can see what will
happen .. best-case is your available rates drop.
doing a quick calculation of best-case throughput of 100k cells/sec
minus 6600 cells/sec of TCP ACK traffic results in 93400 cells/sec
available.
93400 cells/sec x 48-byte payload/cell = 35 Mbps .. or .. pretty close
to what you are seeing.

still can't explain the 27 vs 34 difference - BUT - you should talk to
your telco and ask them if THEY are seeing any drops.
the primary idea of ATM is that _you_ shape rather than having your
service provider shape/police your traffic.
if you end up above the policy they have set then they don't necessarily
drop what you want - in fact - they may drop one cell in the middle of
an AAL5 stream rendering up to 31 other cells as useless with 1500-byte MTU.

cheers,

lincoln.