[c-nsp] BCP for save B/W when transit links are full

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Wed Aug 31 04:54:38 EDT 2005

> Honestly, this stuff really isn't rocket science.  What you have to
> do though is quit thinking like a user when you engineer your DSL
> network.  Unlearn, unlearn!!  Too many ISPs out there have DSL
> backends that were designed with moronic assumptions - like the
> ass-umption that somehow, dynamically numbering your DSL network
> "saves you IP numbers"  And the assumption that even if this were
> true, that it's something you as an ISP would think is a good thing.

I'm not at all sure that's the driver.  My impressions is that every DSL or
cable provider handing out dynamic addresses is doing it because it makes it
harder to run servers, allowing you to upsell to the "business" product -
four times the price for a static IP address and a tweaked AUP that gives
you *Internet* access instead of "look at the pretty pictures on the web"
access.

Pet soapbox, sorry, I'll shut up now.

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering Manager  w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Managed Data Services        t: +44 20 7863 5714
Data | Voice | Managed Services             f: +44 20 7863 5876