[c-nsp] BCP for save B/W when transit links are full

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Aug 31 08:13:53 EDT 2005

dydns.org killed that.

 allowing you to upsell to the "business"
>product -
>four times the price for a static IP address and a tweaked AUP
>that gives
>you *Internet* access instead of "look at the pretty pictures
>on the web"
>access.

The types of people who would cheat the ISP by running business
servers on a service classed as residential really don't care about
good service.  As long as it barely works, they won't move elsewhere.

We've had potential customers call us after having been down for
a week because their cable provider RFed them - spitting mad of
course and claiming the old saw "I'm losing hundreds if not thousands
of dollars every day that service is down" and ready to dump their
cable and get DSL from us.

We send them a contract that is priced either equal or at most 10%
higher, and then 2 days later we haven't heard hide nor hair of them,
we call them and find out a day after they called us their service came
back on, and now they have as much interest in switching to us as
a tick does in lettin go of a hound's hide.

The DSL industry once thought that once a critical mass of broadband
was reached that all the dialup customers would stampede over to
the new service because it is so much better.  Northpoint and Rhythms
both went out of business and lost billions discovering that most people
would rather save $9 a month on Internet service even though their
bandwidth was going to be 30 times less.

And there's also some evidence that Macromedia also planned on
releasing product that spewed output files of hundreds, if not thousands
of megabytes in size, and making that de-facto on everyone's index
page.  (at least, every Flash and Shockwave site I've ever seen appears
to follow that paradigm)  Yet, that never took off either, and to this
day
Ebay's home page loads in under 30 seconds on a dialup line.  I'm sure
Macromedia was bawling into their beer when they found out that the
general Internet populace wouldn't tolerate obese Flash websites of that
nature.

Ted