[c-nsp] Re: cisco-nsp Digest, Vol 33, Issue 124

Grant Moerschel gm at wavegard.com
Wed Aug 31 12:20:23 EDT 2005

4215's support Cisco IPS 5.0 code out of the box.  This code can support
inline (IPS) mode or promiscuous (IDS) mode or both simulateously if you
have enough interfaces.  To do inline you must use 1 pair of 4215
interfaces, one to the core and one to the router. Essentially all
packets will traverse thru the IPS box going to and from the core to the
router. During traversal, packets are analyzed. You can configure a
signature response action to do an "inline drop" if a signature fires.
Proper IPS tuning is a must since if your inline drops are fasle
positive, you can easily DoS yourself.

Grant P. Moerschel CISSP, CCSP, CCNP, CWNT
WaveGard, Inc.
Information Security Solutions
Consulting * Training * Integration
+1.703.568.5077 * gm at wavegard.com