[c-nsp] bgp keepalive/hold timers on ethernet links

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Wed Aug 31 13:24:09 EDT 2005

On (2005-08-31 10:08 -0700), matthew zeier wrote:

> > Fire the PHB because he's meddling with engineering tasks he obviously
> > has no clue about.
>
> He's the owner :|
>
> > There's something in the works called BFD that may help your situation.
> > Last I checked it was at I-D stage.
>
> My router is a 7606 running 12.2(18)SXD5 and it doesn't appear that's
> supported on that platform/release yet.

It's supported by SXE, but not for BGP, probably due to fall-over on
IGP isn't supported either by 7600 yet.

LAB-P2(config-router)#neighbor 1.2.3.4 timers 1 3
% Warning: A hold time of less than 20 seconds increases
  the chances of peer flapping

This is what GSR equipped with GRP-B suggests. Which seems overly
conservative to me, but I've chosen to obey it.

--
  ++ytti