[c-nsp] 3rd party SFPs Cisco 2960

Colin Whittaker colin at netech.ie
Thu Dec 1 03:28:51 EST 2005

We tried this recentlywith ZX and SX SFPs from MRV.
The problem seems to be that some of the SFPs have serial numbers that
look like cisco serial number and IOS then tries to verify the checksum
fails and refuses to use the SFP despite the presence of both those
commands. TAC have basicly said they don't care that the command does
not work as expected.
We tried this on both 3750s running 12.2(25)SEB4 and 7600s running
12.2(18)SXE3.

The SFPs work just fine if the serial numbers are different enough.

I am considering getting a programming jig for the EEPROMs and just
programming the SFPs to look like cisco ones.

Colin

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 12:50:41PM -0800, Aaron Thomas wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Just looking for some advice on 3rd party SFPs with the newish Cisco 2960 line of switches.  We are using MRV CWDM optics that have
> more lambdas than the available Cisco line and would rather no have to do a lambda conversion to SX to get around the issue.
>
> So specifically I am wanting to know if the 2960s support the "service unsuppoprted-tranceiver" and "no errdisable gbic invalid"
> commands.
>
> What have been your experiences?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Aaron

Colin Whittaker						+353 (0)86 8211 965
http://colin.netech.ie				   colin@(magnet|netech).ie