[c-nsp] Negotiation problem with Catalyst 2950 and Cisco 2821

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Sat Dec 3 00:40:30 EST 2005

On 3/12/2005 6:28 p.m., Wojtek Zlobicki wrote:
> You have already identified it as a duplex mismatch.  Have you tried to
> hardcode the duplex and speed on both sides?
>
> On 12/3/05, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at toybox.placo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>>   I hae a stock 2821 router with 2 gig E ports on the inside,
>> and 2 load-balanced t1's going to the Internet, running NAT.
>> IOS version is 12.4.5

Thing is, it's all cisco gear, and current generation at that, so he shouldn't
*need* to force it.  I mean, it's 2005 and autonegotiation has been around for
years and years so it should be foolproof.  Although there are problems with
some kit (not specific to cisco) when one end is hard coded and the other isn't,
that's more a function of the way autonegotiation works and isn't relevant in
this case.

I have seen the problem Ted is referring to with 2800x and 2950 switches, and
the only way we could get around it was to upgrade IOS on the switch to
something more recent.

This bug might also be worth watching:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCei41196

reuben