[c-nsp] NAT/PAT:end-user ratio

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Sat Dec 3 09:50:02 EST 2005

Hi,

We're setting up a 2801 (12.3(8)T8) for a customer, running BGP with us.
Primary link: 4Mbps, backup link: 1.8Mbps. NAT is being performed on a
loopback interface.

We're trying to determine how many public NAT-ed (or PAT-ed) IP addresses to
allocate to the end-users. Is there a general rule of thumb (like a standard
ratio)? Context is a healthcare environment, end-users are healthcare staff.
End-users will engage in regular work-related Internet browsing (or so we
expect).

There's probably about 150 end-users. We're thinking 10 IP addresses total
should be adequate, utilizing commands like

ip nat inside source list allow_users pool users overload
ip nat pool users IP_ADDRESS.1 IP_ADDRESS.10 prefix-length 27

Would this hold up to real-world ratios?

Thanks,
Adam

---
[This e-mail was scanned for viruses by Webjogger's AntiVirus Protection System]