[c-nsp] IP DSLAMs

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Tue Dec 6 17:08:02 EST 2005

On Dec 6, 2005, at 4:47 PM, Kim Onnel wrote:

> GigE uplink to do PPPoE on Ethernet, i though that an IP DSLAM is
> those with Ether uplinks and you dont have to terminate L3 session on
> it, we want to use this to make use of the Cisco ONS devices mainly.

Why use a SONET mux to run Ethernet?  The ONS does Ethernet but not
particularly well.  You would be better off running CWDM and GigE
along with your SONET and leave the packets off the ONS.

We use the Paradyne IPD12000E (now Zhone) to handle our T1, SHDSL
terminations.  Ethernet to the customer,  GigE to me.  Works great.
I terminate the VLANs on a Cisco router, no need for PPPoE, although
that will come in handy when I deploy residential service.

-Matt

--
Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President