[c-nsp] Cisco IOS

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Dec 7 08:42:44 EST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 10:28:55AM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 10:30:48PM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> > Vote with your feet.  All Cisco has to do is look at the stats of the
> > image downloads from their FTP server and their www server and
> > if 99% of the images are going out www - well, can you blame them
> > if they nix the FTP server?
> >
> > Start using FTP more to pull your images if you really want to see
> > it stay around.
>
> I use FTP all day, and WWW is only for the crypto images (and it's a
> major PITA).
>
> Still, judging from the general trends in Cisco's face towards the
> customer, I see FTP disappearing.  WWW is so much better to carry
> corporate design, and make sure the customer has to click on "yes,
> I am not a terrorist!!" every time he wants to download something...
>
> Unfortunately, you can't really say "if they do that, I'll gonna buy
> from $Vendor_X", as other vendor's web sites usually suck even more :(

	Yeah, the problem i've seen is that people think
that you use the win32 tftp server to load your network off
your desktop/laptop so downloading the image is fine.  Surely
nobody would be behind cable/dsl/dial-up and be working on
the network and need to get to the 75m image to stick on their
network.

	Of course they wouldn't have a centralized image host that is
well connected, but you have to do some url wrangling to get things
to download right..

	*sigh*

	I'm encouraging everyone to stand up for FTP that cares
about being able to download images to someplace other than your
desktop.

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net