[c-nsp] Cisco IOS

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists Lists at Hojmark.ORG
Wed Dec 7 18:01:57 EST 2005

> *standing* *waving* *yelling*
>
> But is someone listening?

<rant>

Sometimes I think those web people actually hate the customers...

Recently, when there was yet another PSIRT, I was asked to
download a lot of images for a customer, because they wanted
fixed images for all of their platforms.

Of cause the customer uses SSH, so I had to use the bloody WUI.

Sigh.

Well, to speed things up, I opened a lot of tabs (Firefox) for
the different images, clicking through confirmations etc. etc.
and tried to start several downloads at the same time. None of
them worked. I tried several times, but now found that I couldn't
actually download *anything* from Cisco.com anymore.

Sigh.

So I go ahead and open a Cisco.com-case on the fact that I can't
download anything, just to get a stupid answer like 'I can see in
your profile, that you are allowed to do that'. Well, why do you
think I'm contacting *you* then? Because I think it's working
just great?

Sigh.

OK, so I went a ahead and tried again, documenting every idiotic
step of the way with a screen shot... Just to find that now it
actually did work fine.

What?!

OK, back to my list of images and start downloading all of them.
Nothing works.

What?!?!

I know I can be a bit slot, but only then did it dawn on me: 'Oh,
I'm being rate or connection limited!'. Sure enough. Start a few
simultaneous downloads, and you'll be locked out. Now, how great
is that?

OK, one thing is that they get this less-than-wonderful idea,
but wouldn't it have been polite to tell the users? Or, if they
think this applies to only *very few* people, couldn't they *at
least* have told the Cisco.com supporters?

No no. It *has* to be difficult to download images from Cisco.

Sigh.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the WUI for creating TAC
cases...

</rant>

-A