[c-nsp] 7500 RSP8 Throughput Ability

Dan Benson dbenson at swingpad.com
Thu Dec 8 12:49:26 EST 2005

I currently have a 7200 VXR with an NSE running between 50 and 100MB
throughput on a daily basis (CPU around 60% at peak).  This router is
acting as a aggregate router for customers using dot1q to a 6500
switch.  I am planning on doubling this load to around 200MB's a
second when I rebuild this part of my network.  This router currently
is running OSPF with  my edge routers and has an IBGP mesh with about
14 other routers.  This router will have around 25 downstream full
and default only BGP Customers homed to it in addition to the IBGP mesh.

My options:

I have a large inventory of 7500 hardware.  I was thinking 7513, Dual
RSP8's with 256MB of RAM.  VIP 4-80's with 256MB of RAM.  I will be
using 4 PA-				GE's and 1 Dual DS3 Chan cards.

As many of you will think, the 7200XVR with an NPE GE1 will be great
here, but I do not have one to allocate and I like the idea of route
processor redundance.  The other idea would be a 7300/7600/6500 all
with a SUP720, but again, I would rather not go out and buy 1 $10K
card when I have gear sitting around and the sup720 are not all that
cheap on the used market these days.   Other then that, I could home
this off a juniper, only to be plagued by GRE tunnel and Multilink
issues.

The questions:

Can you all give me an idea of what a 7513 running say 200 to 300MB a
sec agg. traffic would see for CPU load?  Can anyone tell me what I
can expect for a bandwidth limitation on the backplane of these
chassis?  I am pretty sure I am on crack to even thinking I could do
this, so any info at this point will be helpful (I have 	only loaded
a 7500 up to around 70MB running D-CEF/IP cache flow and never been
happy with the CPU load).  If you all concur that this is pushing the
limits of the 7513, then sup720 it is.  Thanks a lot for the
help.   //db