[c-nsp] 7500 RSP8 Throughput Ability

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Thu Dec 8 22:51:50 EST 2005

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 10:43:24PM -0500, David Coulson wrote:
> Rodney Dunn wrote:
> > Depending on the traffic distribution you could probably put a couple
> > cards in the box and easily get 200 MBps through it. Doing it on
> > one card might be pushing it. This is with no feaures and dCEF.
> > Or if you are not going to run features that need dCEF then you might
> > could run it with dCEF off and let the RSP handle it and get those rates.
> > I don't know the pps numbers of the RSP8 directly as we usually don't
> > recommend people doing it because of the dcef feature requirements ie: QOS,
> > etc.. but you could test it in the lab.
>
> While we're on this subject - Is there any real-world differences
> between a GEIP and a GEIP+ with an RSP4 doing dCEF? I would like the
> flexability on the 7500 platform to do more than 100Mbit, but is there
> any point in a GEIP+ if I can't do more than 200Mbit anyway?

GEIP is is vip2-50 based and GEIP+ is vip4-80 based.

If your packet size is large enough you can get 200 mbps through
one of the cards. I've tested that in the lab and at 1400 bytes
I think I could get close to 350 Mbps through it IIRC.

That was with no features. One of the main problems we hit though
was the card doesn't support flow control so we saw overruns
when the upstream was bursting.