[c-nsp] 7500 RSP8 Throughput Ability

Gustavo Rodrigues Ramos gustavo at acmesecurity.org
Fri Dec 9 08:43:10 EST 2005

Rodney Dunn wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 10:59:03PM -0500, David Coulson wrote:
>
> Really guys, those cards were designed at the customer's request to give
> them a physical GIG connectivity solution the core for moderate rates
> while they upgraded the edges. If you are looking at GIGE/OC3 type
> rates to/from the core don't waste your time with this box or these
> cards because as soon as you start turning on features you will most
> likely be unhappy.

So, talking about that... what do you recommend to put into a core
network (insted of 7500) to support gigabit traffic rate??? A box like
Cisco 7301 can do that job?

This box need to do about ten BGP-4 peers connections (two or three full
routing), VRRP/HSRP like the diagram and support about 400 Mbps traffic
in/out through then.

             BGP-4  peers                 BGP-4  peers
              \  |  |  /                   \  |  |  /
                   |                            |
               GiE trunk                     GiE trunk
            +------|------+             +-------|------+
               GiE Trunk-----VRRP/HSRP------GiE Trunk

Today I've got two 7513 with one GEIP+ each doing that job, however I
can reach just 150 Mbps (dCEF is enabled).

Regards,
Gustavo.