[c-nsp] Grounding issues between devices

John Neiberger John.Neiberger at efirstbank.com
Fri Dec 9 15:55:21 EST 2005

Here's an interesting problem. At one of our sites we have a 2950 switch
sitting directly on a 2620 router. These devices have rack ears attached
but they are not rack mounted. A tech from a different group just
informed me that he was at that site earlier and needed to move the
network equipment, and he got quite a shock when he grabbed the rack
ears of the switch in one hand and the rack ears of the router in the
other. He described it as being significantly more uncomfortable than a
shock from a 9v battery.

The weird thing is that the chassis are touching, so I wouldn't think
he would have been shocked even if there was some sort of grounding
problem or some other electrical issue. Since the devices are touching,
he wouldn't have been the preferred path. I'm not quite sure he got
shocked, but he said it is repeatable.

I suppose I'd better go check it out before someone gets electrocuted.
:)

John