[c-nsp] CEF fun in SXF

Roman Sokolov rps at cheater.ru
Mon Dec 12 18:16:25 EST 2005

Hello Gert,

GD> ... is there a way to influence the PPS rate for this rate limiting?
Yes. sh mls rate-limit. router#mls rate-limit ?

GD> We recently ran into another interesting effect, where an out-of-memory
GD> problem triggered "%FIB-2-FIBDOWN: CEF has been disabled due to a low
GD> memory condition." -- the box wasn't very busy anyway, so the MSFC should
GD> have managed to keep up.  Instead, we saw packet loss like crazy, which
GD> fits your description.
If you have disabled cef because of memory issues, then may be you have to
use same solution like for gsr's cef :) i mean, exception memory minimum
processor xxx. Fast reboot sometimes can help much, and of course you have
to monitor number of routes in your routing table.

GD> So it would have been nice to say "yes, we know the box will keep up
GD> with the current load, and tonight we will reboot it" instead of having
GD> to reboot at office hours...
It's not ideal world :)

--
Best regards,