[c-nsp] 7304 NPE-G100 vs. NSE-100

Cory Ayers cayers at ena.com
Tue Dec 13 10:49:51 EST 2005

> We have 3 NSE-100 running.
>
> Everything depends on the features you would like to turn on. Read the
> PXF supported feature list very carefully. If the features you need
> are not listed there, you will see a throughput degradation comparing
> to G100. if everything you need is supported in PXF, you can expect
> multigigabit performance. I have seen on one of our routers full GE
> with bidirectional ~500kpps and CPU 10-20% (full BGP).
>
> If you are considering to use NSE-100 as aggregator with countless
> subinterfaces, better think of something else, at least for now. We
> had to replace one of or NSE-100 with 7606 because of endless
> problems. The last TAC case is now open for more than 2 month and the
> end is not even close.

We definitely don't envision an NSE-100 as an aggregation router for
hundreds of end-sites.  We're thinking about a replacement Internet
peering router with maybe 3 full BGP feeds, GigE and multiple OC-3s.  If
we outgrow the router for Internet, we can purchase an NPE-G100 and use
it as an aggregator.  From my experience the 7606 is an incredible work
horse, but also a glorified switch with reduced features (similar to
PXF) and versatility (no NPE version) at a heavier price point.

Excellent feedback, thank you!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/routers/ps352/prod_maint