[c-nsp] Switch mac address appearing in a VLAN going through it

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Wed Dec 14 13:02:11 EST 2005

On (2005-12-14 18:51 +0100), Gert Doering wrote:

> Actually, portfast will not turn off STP, it will just modify it (telling
> rapid-stp that this is an edge-port, and turn off the "listening/learning"
> phases of normal STP).  If you build a loop via two portfast-enabled ports,
> the switch will still shut down the port, but only after a few seconds -
> in the mean time, you'll have a loop.

 I thought that it doesn't turn off anything, just travel to forwarding
immediately in classical STP and in RST give upstream permission to
move to forward immediately. And that all this would be reverted
to normal behaviour upon receiving BPDU.
 (If you don't have porfast in RST, your port is blocking the upstream
for classical STP timeout, as you will not get permission from your
downstream as there is no RST speaker, so you really want to have
all edge ports configured portfast if running RST :)

--
  ++ytti