[c-nsp] swouters - graphing of Vlan's

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Dec 14 14:30:16 EST 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 01:49:37PM +0200, Rolf Mendelsohn wrote:
> We're in Angola so our bandwidth utilisation currently is very small
> (bandwidth is expensive in Africa :>).

If the bandwidth used is small, one possible approach could be to use
a Cisco 3640 (router) or something along that line, and run a 100Mbit
802.1q trunk between your switches (doing only layer2 then) and the
router.

12.2 and up properly count traffic on 802.1q subinterfaces on routers
(but you need to use SNMP to read the counters, "show int" doesn't
display them - for whatever funny reason).

Another approach would be to get a used Cat5000 with a RSM (route switch
module) - but be aware that this will never do IPv6, and is an end-of-life
product.  But it should be fairly cheap.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de