[c-nsp] boot images for 72xx to fix in 4M flash

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Dec 14 15:42:44 EST 2005

How exactly is a suggested fix that can only be done
on the newer NPEs which have 8MB bootflash going
to help the older NPE's with older rommons that have
the 4MB bootflash? ;-)

Seriously, though, how many devices does this affect?

Just out of curiosity I went to our spares and pulled
the FE I/O cards out of the 7206's we have in spares,
both of these appear to have 1 SOCKETED flash SIMM.
(they both come up as 4MB bootflash devices)
Aren't these the bootflash devices?  Can't these be
replaced with larger flash SIMMS?

Or am I looking at the wrong thing?

I also noticed the rommon chips are EPROMS,
both of them are labeled ROMMON V11.1(10)
Is it possible to download binary images of later rommons
from Cisco and use an eprom programmer to update
these so that they will boot directly from the pcmcia
flash cards?  Or can I order a new rom?

Ted