[c-nsp] 100 meg throughput

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Dec 15 01:46:57 EST 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Chris Cappuccio wrote:

> If your 5 minute average shows that your pipe is at 80% utilization,
> then it's likely that you are actually spiking at 100% at which times
> you are dropping packets and providing a lower quality service.

It's also interesting to know what the utilization is at what level.

It's quite possible that with imix you cannot get more than 80 meg/s of IP
thru a 100 meg ethernet connection, if you calculate the ethernet
overhead. With small packets you get a lot less than that of IP.

So 100% ethernet utilization can be 50% of linkspeed of IP packets. I've
had this discussion with customers before, they see 55 megs of usage on
their MRTG graph, we sold them 60, they're complaining, we're saying they
have what they bought (60 megs of ethernetencapsulated IP). This needs to
be specified in the contract.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se