[c-nsp] HSRP Query

Gordon Bezzina gordon.bezzina at bell.net.mt
Thu Dec 15 10:22:58 EST 2005

Hi,

I have a small query with regards to the HSRP setup.

Mainly I would like to know if it is possible to put the HSRP address in
another subnet - different from the interface address. It seems that it is
possible but the HSRP does not seem to created the connected route in the
routing table. Therefore for it to work I have to add a static route which I
believe defeats the whole purpose of HSRP?

Ex.

interface Ethernet0/0/0
 description Internal Management Interface
 ip address 192.168.1.12 255.255.255.0
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip accounting access-violations
 ip route-cache flow
 standby 1 ip 172.17.0.2
 standby 1 timers 5 15
 standby 1 priority 110
 standby 1 preempt
!

IP does not response to ping because not in routing table. Once a static
route is added (as below), it works fine.

ip route 172.17.0.0 255.255.0.0 Ethernet0/0/0

c7513#sh ip route
Codes: C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
       D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
       N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
       E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2
       i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2
       ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user static
route
       o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is not set

S    172.17.0.0/16 is directly connected, Ethernet0/0/0
     10.0.0.0/30 is subnetted, 1 subnets
C       10.255.255.252 is directly connected, Loopback0
C    192.168.1.0/24 is directly connected, Ethernet0/0/0

Problem is that my backup router might get traffic from backup links to the
servers which routes he will receive through IBGP with the primary router.
But static routes have a higher priority over IBGP routes, don't they ?

All comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks/Regards
Gordon