[c-nsp] Which Router to replace a 7206 VXR400?

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Wed Dec 21 10:20:37 EST 2005

Hi,

I'm kind of running into some problems with one of our border routers
... 7206 VXR NPE400 w/ 256M memory ... I'm looking into selecting a
replacement for it ...

At the moment, it's running a GE for the LAN connection, 100M uplink w/
full BGP4, second uplink to DECIX (currently 100M, potentially to be
update to GE some time Q1-Q2 06). It's getting another iBGP full link
from our second border router (12410), plus lots of OSPF routes (many
/28-/32 routes) from several gateway routers. Throughput/processor load
isn't much of an issue (at least according to our cricket overview -
usually ~20% CPU load). Free memory has dropped drastically after
installing the new IOS (12.2(25)T) in September, from 25M free to 3-5M
(yuck!). Having the ability to add an OC3 module or two, maybe even STM4
would be nice but not a show-stopper.

So, what's the options? The NPE takes up to 512M (which will most likely
be the short term solution), but what other small-footprint (read: not a
half rack monster as our 12k ;) ) router would you suggest? 3800 is nice
but seems a bit of a dead-end (especially with it using the NM's) ...

Tnx, Garry