[c-nsp] OT -- DSL modems

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Dec 22 01:34:04 EST 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Voll, Scott wrote:

> I have a site that currently is using two DSL modems to get 2mb of
> interconnectivity.  Really old setup.
>
> What are other options?  I have two 2600's.  is there a card I can use
> in both to get this DSL circuit bandwidth up?  Or other DSL modem models
> to look at?
>
> I think I remember someone else having this conversation but can find
> it.

Yes, there was a discussion here before. If the cables between the sites
are less than 3000ft (1000 meters) then you will have best luck with VDSL
of some kind. A pair of VDSL modems which will give you something like 10
meg, will set you back USD$200-400 or so. Zyxel 841 is one for instance.

If you have more copper pairs you can use VDSL equipment at both ends and
bundle them, there is equipment that'll do 24 pairs which should give you
quite a lot of bw. If the distance is longer you can bond more pairs with
g.SHDSL to get more bw.

There is a g.shdsl VIC for 2600 that'll do g.shdsl as well, it'll do
four-wire too, to double your available bw.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se