[c-nsp] Attenuate me...

Niels Bakker niels=cisco-nsp at bakker.net
Thu Dec 22 12:22:39 EST 2005

* rblayzor at inoc.net (Robert Blayzor) [Thu 22 Dec 2005, 14:24 CET]:
>Robert E.Seastrom wrote:
>>Can anyone suggest an appropriate value for attenuators for this kind
>>of configuration?  Docs I've seen suggest that this should work, but
>>barely, with no attenuators...  what do people find works in practice?
>>6 dB?  10 dB?
>It should be fine, I believe the IR cards transmit at 10db... (at least
>the OC3 IR's do)  I'd think that it should be fine, but if not, 5db is
>probably more than enough.

10 dB is insanity.  From a quick Google search on cisco.com the launch
power for OC3/OC12 IR (1310nm) is -15 ... -8 dBm, with a receiver
sensitivity of -28 to -7 or -31 to -8 dBm, depending on the model.

So you probably won't need an attenuator.  But try cleaning the fibers.
With real cleaning materials, not the cuff of your shirt.

	-- Niels.