[c-nsp] 6500 w/sup32 as BGP edge router?

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Wed Feb 2 11:50:41 EST 2005

At 07:50 AM 2/2/2005, Elmar K. Bins commented:
>rodunn at cisco.com (Rodney Dunn) wrote:
>
> > 7304/NSE100, 76xx(sup720), or GSR.
> >
> > The sup720 combination has a lot more functionality
> > in regards to hardware rate limiters to help
> > you protect the RP for various traffic types and
> > ACL's.
>
>I'm concerned about those "things in hardware" in regard to, e.g.,
>X6408-A cards (or other "classic" cards). Will the hardware-assisted
>stuff work with those non-dCEF-cards too, or is it more likely the
>SUP720B+X6408-A will perform same or even worse than SUP32-GE-3B?

Yes, both sup720 & sup32 will support 6408A *and* both will give you those
"things in hardware". For example, CPU rate limiters, CoPP, IPv6, MPLS,
bidir PIM, NAT, GRE, ie, all the fancy new h/w features, are all enabled on
your classic cards with PFC3B.

>Oh, and what about the CatOS-only rumours? True or false? I can't
>believe this, since the card can route, but...

At FCS, true. Over the next few quarters, false.

Tim

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759